RE: easy remote detection of a running tripwire for webpages system

From: Bennett Samowich (brs@ben-tech.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 05:47:09 PDT

    This can be avoided by setting the "ServerSignature" directive to "Off" in
    the Apache configuration.  Once turned off Apache will only send the line
    "Server: Apache".  This should be done anyways as an attacker can always use
    version information gathered from reconnaissance to develop an attack plan.

    See the following link for more information on this directive:
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#serversignature

    Unfortunately I can't say for sure how to accomplish the same in other web
    servers but I have to imagine that there is a way... or at least there
    should be.

    Cheers,
    - Bennett

    ...snip...