RE: Ssdpsrv.exe in WindowsME

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 17:46:54 PDT

    "Martin L. Drury Jr." <mdrury@ads-corp.com> wrote:

    > Last night after I got home from work, I checked my Dell Laptop (which came
    > with ME preinstalled) and it too is running the ssdpsrv.  The only things
    > I've installed on it since I purchased it are Office 2000, IE6, and the
    > software/support drivers for my digital camera.  All of which I don't think
    > would have turned it on (although I could be wrong).

    Actually, I'd say the digital camera may be a  more likely suspect
    than you suggest (though you connected it directly to the laptop via
    a USB or FireWire cable, not a network connection, right?)...

    > After reading up on UPnP though, I think the triggering item might be Home
    > Networking, or whatever it's called in ME.  I don't personally recall
    > turning it on, as my laptop automagically selected all the proper settings
    > for my ISP (which was kinda nice, and scary at the same time).  The
    > knowledge base article seems to suggest that UPnP is not turned on by
    > default, but it's possible some OEMs might have it enabled.

    Indeed.

       http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q262/4/58.ASP

    is interesting, but you should also look at:

       http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/network/plan/insidenet/sohonet/upnpsup.asp

    which rather firmly implicates the SOHO networking side of things.

    Regards,

    Nick FitzGerald