Re: Minor IE vulnerability: about: URLs

From: Simon Kornblith (slistsat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 06:34:25 PDT

    On 10/19/01 5:47 PM, "Pedro Miller Rabinovitch" <pedroat_private>
    wrote:

    > At 17:13 +0200 19.10.01, Clover Andrew wrote:
    >> Versions:
    >>
    >> Assume all versions of IE/Win are vulnerable. Status of IE under other
    >> platforms is unknown. Versions tested:
    >>
    >> 4.72.3612.1713 (SP2; 3283)
    >> 5.00.3315.1000 (SP2)
    >> 5.50.4522.1800
    >> 6.0.2600.0000
    >
    > I've confirmed the bug in the above.
    >
    > In MacOs 9.1, IE5 and IE4.5 do not expose the hidden about:
    > 'feature'. Thus, they don't seem to be vulnerable.
    >
    > As a U.S. Senator recently said (as quoted by Wired magazine) on the
    > whole security problem: "Use a Mac." ;-)
    > (please take this comment with a truckload of salt. I *am* j/k)

    I can also confirm that IE 5.1 for Mac OS X isn't vulnerable. It just shows
    the entire thing in the title of the about box, even if you type in
    about:</title>. Not sure if this was the same outcome as IE5 and IE4.5, it
    probably was.

    >> A Microsoft chap pointed out that sites can already break out of the
    >> Restricted Sites Zone, simply by pointing at another site that is
    >> not in that Zone.

    Simon