Re: SSH deja vu

From: Lucian Hudin (luciat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 14:18:06 PDT

     I don't know about any teso exploit, but what I want to mention is
    that I rememeber studying this problem myself and I've found
    that the crc32 bug doesn't manifest under operating systems that
    return NULL on realloc(ptr, 0);
     So if the exploit is based on the fact that realloc(ptr, 0) will
    NOT return NULL, Linux & W2k (systems I have access on) were never
    actually vulnerable.

     The Linux realloc manual says :
     "realloc() returns a pointer to the newly allocated memory, which is
     suitably aligned  for  any  kind  of variable  and  may  be  different
     from ptr, or NULL if the request fails or if size was equal to 0.

    CONFORMING TO
           ANSI-C
    "

    Regards,