Re: SSH deja vu

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 16:11:01 PDT

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Lucian Hudin wrote:

    > I don't know about any teso exploit, but what I want to mention is
    > that I rememeber studying this problem myself and I've found that the
    > crc32 bug doesn't manifest under operating systems that return NULL on
    > realloc(ptr, 0); So if the exploit is based on the fact that
    > realloc(ptr, 0) will NOT return NULL, Linux & W2k (systems I have
    > access on) were never actually vulnerable.

    Very interesting conclusion - but certainly wrong. Actually, modern
    systems usually allow you to allocate zero-sized "placeholders", and
    Linux, *BSD and (IIRC) Solaris follow this rule. Two proof-of-concepts
    exploits were already published on BUGTRAQ, numerous others - developed
    for not so broad audience.

    >  The Linux realloc manual says :
    >  "realloc() returns a pointer to the newly allocated memory, which is
    >  suitably aligned  for  any  kind  of variable  and  may  be  different
    >  from ptr, or NULL if the request fails or if size was equal to 0.

    The manual page is wrong. This is not the behavior of recent glibc
    releases.

    Michal Zalewski [lcamtufat_private] [security]
    [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
    =-=> Did you know that clones never use mirrors? <=-=
              http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/photo/