Re: double dot vulnerability on a site running Informix database.

From: Joel Michael (joelat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 16:32:30 PST

    On Thu, 2001-11-22 at 21:09, Beck Mr.R wrote:
    > I found a doubledot vulnerability on a site running
    > Informix database. I can read of any file on the
    > system by putting /../ into the url. But so far I have
    > only found two sites with this problem.
    > The site is running Netscape-Enterprise/4.0 on
    > Solaris according to Netcraft.com

    I have tested this on Apache 1.3.12/Solaris 7/webdriver 4.10.UC1,
    Netscape Enterprise 3.6/NT4/webdriver 4.10.TC1, IIS 5.0/Win2K/webdriver
    4.11.TC1, Apache 1.3.12/Linux/webdriver 4.10.UC1, running on Informix
    Universal Server 9.2x on Linux, NT4 and Win2K with the web datablade
    4.x.  All do not have this problem.

    All the platforms I have tested simply close the connection immediately,
    giving a zero-sized reply.  I also tested using MIvalObj= instead of
    LO=, MIvalObj gives a 500 reply.

    Do you know which version of the webdriver is this affecting?  As I have
    tested a few different versions in the 4.1x series, maybe this only
    applies to the 3.x series, the 4.0x series or a newer version which I do
    not yet have?

    Can you give any more details about the configuration of the web server?
    --
    Joel Michael
    Systems Administrator

    Ph: +61 7 3367 3555