Re: double dot vulnerability on a site running Informix database.

From: Randolf Richardson (randy@inter-corporate.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 14:04:00 PST

    > > I found a doubledot vulnerability on a site running
    > > Informix database. I can read of any file on the
    > > system by putting /../ into the url. But so far I have
    > > only found two sites with this problem.
    > > The site is running Netscape-Enterprise/4.0 on
    > > Solaris according to Netcraft.com
    > >
    > I have tested this on Apache 1.3.12/Solaris 7/webdriver 4.10.UC1,
    > Netscape Enterprise 3.6/NT4/webdriver 4.10.TC1, IIS 5.0/Win2K/webdriver
    > 4.11.TC1, Apache 1.3.12/Linux/webdriver 4.10.UC1, running on Informix
    > Universal Server 9.2x on Linux, NT4 and Win2K with the web datablade
    > 4.x.  All do not have this problem.
    >
    > All the platforms I have tested simply close the connection immediately,
    > giving a zero-sized reply.  I also tested using MIvalObj= instead of
    > LO=, MIvalObj gives a 500 reply.
    [Snip]

    	Apache v1.3.22 running on Novell NetWare returns a "Bad request"
    error message, so it's not vulnerable here either.  I suspect that Apache is secure
    in this regard since the OS has very little to do with this type of exploit.

    Randolf Richardson - rrat_private
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    http://www.8x.ca/

    "Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives."