Windows hack for Web-surfing privacy

From: Thomas C. Greene (tcgreeneat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 18:19:38 PST

    I've been in quest of a way to assign the IE browser cache, cookies, typed
    URLs and history to RAM so they're never written to disk. Of course you can
    set your browser to delete the cache on exit, but there will be traces on
    the HDD; and you can block cookies or use a cookie management program, but
    blocking them makes surfing inconvenient, and cookie managers also leave
    traces on the HDD. And then there's the history, which catalogues your
    comings and goings for posterity.

    So the challenge for me has been to set the IE cache, cookies, URL history
    and typed URLs to a RAM drive so they're never written to disk. This would
    enable you to accept cookies for more convenient surfing without leaving
    traces of your comings and goings on your machine. Not even the most
    sophisticated forensics tool can re-construct your surfing history if it's
    never written to disk in the first place, after all.

    I've since come up with two hacks which accomplish this, one for Windows 95
    and 98, and one for 2K and XP. The latter may work with NT after some
    tweaking, though I haven't tested it; and I quite simply failed with that
    neither-fish-nor-fowl evolutionary missing-link otherwise known as Win-ME.

    I'm grateful to Walt Moorhouse, Steven T., Lutz Albers and Eric the Troll
    for their encouragement and suggestions. ®

    Courage, beta testers:
    RamSurf for Win-9x  http://213.40.196.62/media/700.zip
    RamSurf for Win-2K/XP  http://213.40.196.62/media/701.zip

    chrz,