Mail Essentials reveals identity of first BCC recipient

From: Ronan Waide (ronan.waideat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 01:55:18 PST

    Hi Bugtraqers,

    I recently received a marketing mail from a supplier who uses an email
    content filter called Mail Essentials from GFI Software (see
    http://www.gfisoftware.com/me/mesfeatures.htm for more
    information). The message had no destination address, having been sent
    to a BCC list. On inspecting the Received: headers, I found one
    inserted by Mail Essentials:

    	Mail essentials (server 2.422) with SMTP id: <513at_private>
    	 for <bcc_person@address>; Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:19:12 +0100
    	smtpmailfrom <originator@address>

    The 'bcc_person@address' was, presumably, the first person on the BCC
    list - it certainly wasn't /my/ address. I brought this to the
    attention of GFI software over a month ago, and the eventual response
    was to the effect that 'BCC headers get stripped out' - evidently the
    problem was misunderstood. Since I've not heard anything more from
    them after clarifying the situation, I'm posting the problem here in
    case anyone happens to use this software in-house.

    Cheers,
    Waider.
    --
    Ronan Waide / Unix Guy / euroConex Technologies Ltd.