Re: Mail Essentials reveals identity of first BCC recipient

From: J Leon (jimatwork@local-connect.com)
Date: Mon Dec 24 2001 - 14:03:06 PST

    I've been using GFI Mail Essentials since May 2000,
    and have never seen such a thing. I've looked at
    thousands of email messages passing through my
    MES server.  I've also performed some tests to see if
    MES could do what you've seen, and could not
    duplicate the symptom.

    Is it possible that the address you saw is a
    distribution list and that part of the header was sent
    from an upstream server, not actually from MES?  If I
    could see the complete header, I could try duplicate
    the problem more accurately.

    I'm not intimately familiar with the RFC's, but it
    seems that an email could not be correctly delivered
    with an incorrect "for" in the header.  In fact, if the
    originating server didn't send BCC information, MES
    should never get any BCC information.  All MES sees
    is the "mail from" and "rcpt to" commands and then
    the "data" from the upstream server.

    I use MES on a machine separated from the
    Exchange server, like a proxy.  Exchange sends all
    mail out to MES, and MES forwards it on.  However,
    MES can be installed directly on the Exchange server
    to give it some added capabilities.  I doubt the
    forwarding part works significantly different when
    installed on the same server compared to being
    installed alone, but it's possible.  When together,
    MES listens on 25 and Exchange listens on a
    different port.

    There certainly are problems with MES, but I don't
    think this one can be blamed on MES.

    J. Leon