RE: Too much misleading advice on the Universal Plug-and-Play security hole

From: Paul Schmehl (paulsat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 18:11:57 PST

    Furthermore, if you run the patch and you're not vulneralble, the patch
    will tell you that.  So, if you have any of the vulnerable versions, just
    run the patch.  If you're not vulnerable, it won't hurt anything, and if
    you are, you'll be patched.

    --On Wednesday, December 26, 2001 7:24 PM -0800 Marc Maiffret
    <marcat_private> wrote:

    > Good to try to clear things up like that however you just confused people
    > even more again. Windows 98 is also affected yet you fail to mention it.
    >
    > Once again for those of us that missed it in Microsoft's bulletin the
    > first time:
    > Affected Software:
    > Microsoft Windows 98
    > Microsoft Windows 98SE
    > Microsoft Windows ME
    > Microsoft Windows XP
    >
    > That means, and as I've said to one to many reporters, if you or someone
    > you know is running Windows 98/ME/XP then you/they need to install the
    > patch.

    Paul Schmehl (paulsat_private)
    Supervisor of Support Services
    The University of Texas at Dallas