Re: Too much misleading advice on the Universal Plug-and-Play security hole

From: Matthew Caron (mattat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 08:58:09 PST

    > Once again for those of us that missed it in Microsoft's bulletin the first
    > time:
    > Affected Software:
    > Microsoft Windows 98
    > Microsoft Windows 98SE
    > Microsoft Windows ME
    > Microsoft Windows XP
    >
    > That means, and as I've said to one to many reporters, if
    > you or someone you> know is running Windows 98/ME/XP then
    > you/they need to install the patch.

    Not true. From:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-059.asp

    "Windows 98 and 98SE do not include a native UPnP service, but one can
    be installed via the Internet Connection Sharing client that ships with
    Windows XP."

    Therefore 98 and 98SE are not inherently vulnerable. They are only
    vulnerable if you've installed that service from XP.
    --
    My romantically involved friends are constant reminders of
    the benefits, however few, of being single.