RE: Non existing attachments, more info

From: David F. Skoll (dfsat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 13:20:25 PST

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Grimes, Roger wrote:

    > Your second option, although widely implemented by lots of SMTP solutions,
    > could cause more problems than it solves.  I believe that if the message
    > isn't RFC-compliant and coded correctly, it should be rejected, period.

    You are probably right, but that breaks the "robustness principle": be
    conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others
    (RFC 793, referring to TCP, but a widely-held philosophy in Internet
    standards.)

    I think that reformatting the message as valid MIME is a reasonable
    compromise, because it should ensure that MUA's interpret the message
    the same way the scanner did.  However, when I have time, I will add
    the option to my scanner to reject suspicious messages of any type.

    Long term, though, the only way around e-mail-borne malware is to stop
    using susceptible programs like Windows and Outlook.  It is this last
    step that people are reluctant to take.

    --
    David.