Whose X do I need to X to get on CERT?

From: Jonathan G. Lampe (jonathanat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 14:45:32 PST

    My company makes a product ("UniGate") which among other things is an SNMP
    agent.  When CERT's recent SNMP advisory came out
    (http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-03.html), we reacted I  think like
    any other responsible vendor should.  I grabbed the various test suites
    available and threw them against undefended internal test boxes while the
    engineering staff consulted the source code.  It  took us two full days to
    get a handle on things, but by February 14th we had an advisory statement
    for  our customers.  I mailed CERT a copy (you can see the text of the
    message
    here:  http://www.stdnet.com/support/?category_number=3&subcategory_number=1 )

    On its major advisories CERT advertises a "Vendor Information" section with
    "details from vendors who  have provided feedback for this advisory."  I
    see the online doc has been updated several times a day  since the advisory
    came out (18 times since I sent my first email), but after 4 emails and 2
    phone calls I'm still waiting for anything other than  an automated response.

    Has anyone else (particularly vendors) ever had problems getting CERT to
    post stuff, or even  acknowledge your presence?  Is there an invisible
    "pay-to-play" thing going on here which has escaped  my notice?  Am I
    talking to the wrong people?  Anyone?  Buehler?

    TIA, Jonathan Lampe, GCIA, GSNA, etc.

    P.S.  Here's where I sent copies of the letter (give it another shot every
    2 days or so...):
    certat_private  SUBJ: VU#617947
    certat_private  SUBJ: CA-2002-03 Feedback VU#617947
    certat_private  SUBJ: Yet Another Vendor entry for CA-2002-03

    Number Called:
    412-268-7090  (Feb 15 and Feb 18)

    (On a Friday phone calls, the guy ack'ed receipt of at least one of the
    email messages - said "call back on Monday".)