Re: Non existing attachments, more info

From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) (wcolburnat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 09:07:15 PST

    You can't discard "bad" messages because you can't identify them.  RFC
    compliant messages can contain stuff that end-user software might
    interpret specially.  The MyParty is an example.  It is a compliant
    message that contains a bunch of garbage in it that no (sane) human can
    read.  The problem is that some end-user software is too smart for its
    own good and finds content (the garbage) where none should exist and
    then turns it into an "attachment".

    There is no solution.  You can't force companies to stop making
    bugs ("innovations") in their software.  You can't reasonably locate
    every bug ("innovation") in every peice of software.  Even if you could
    locate every bug, imagine how hard it would be to write software that
    contained all the known bugs in all known mail processing software
    (there lots of groups that attempt this feat on a daily basis so I think
    we know how hard it is).

    I think we are stuck reacting proactively to discovered holes from now
    until the end of time.  Even if we stop using the current bad-guy (MS),
    some other company would step in to add new bugs ("innovations") that
    users desperately want.  We will never reach a point of stability where
    nothing new is ever invented.

    --
    William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburnat_private>
    Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology