RE: Why is Microsoft watching us watch DVD movies?

From: Richard M. Smith (rmsat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 18:16:35 PST

    Hi Konrad,

      >>> CDDB queries _don't_ include a serial number of the querying
      >>> player or software library and thus don't allow associations
      >>> between requests and individuals.

    Actually with the newer CDDB2 protocol, Gracenote does use GUIDs to
    track what CDs individual users are listening to for direct marketing
    purposes:

    http://www.gracenote.com/mrs2privacy.html

    Identifying Information. The Gracenote CDDB2 Service uses a unique
    identifier to track queries for statistical purposes (see Data
    Aggregation below) and to allow personalization features (see
    Personalized Content below). This is a number that Gracenote CDDB
    assigns to you at random when you register. (A numeric identifier is
    sometimes called a Globally Unique Identifier, or GUID. However, there
    are many different uses of GUIDs, some benign and some controversial, in
    the industry.) Gracenote CDDB does not generate this number from any
    hardware identifier (such as an IP address) or any other information
    that can be traced back to you or the computer you are using. The
    purpose of a randomly assigned numeric identifier is to allow the
    Gracenote CDDB to count queries without knowing anything about who you
    are other than the information you choose to provide when you register,
    and which you can delete at any time.

    Registration and Requested Information. When you register with the
    Gracenote CDDB2 Service, we ask you for general information about
    yourself, such as zip or country code, email address, sex, and age
    range, that will be helpful in gathering aggregate statistics, and for
    delivering personalized content. For example, if you supply a zip code,
    we may use it to collect aggregate statistics about what music fans are
    playing in your part of the country, or to provide personalized tour
    information based on the city in which you live, but neither Gracenote
    CDDB nor anyone will use your zip code to try to send you mail at home
    or identify you personally. All information requested is optional,
    except for a "nickname" you choose, and a password to give you exclusive
    access to change or delete your information at any time.

    Personalized Content. Our technology can do personalized "targeting" of
    content, advertisements, and other promotions without disclosing any of
    your personal information to anyone outside Gracenote CDDB. With your
    permission we may use information you have provided to us, such as
    registration information or other albums you have looked up, to
    personalize the content you see or hear. During registration, or at any
    time afterward, you can choose to turn off this personalized service.

    Richard M. Smith
    http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com