Re: move_uploaded_file breaks safe_mode restrictions in PHP

From: Patrick Oonk (patrickat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 07:23:12 PST

    On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 10:55:18AM +0100, sesserat_private wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > first of all i want to clearify, that move_uploaded_file isn't breaking
    > safe_mode restrictions. move_uploaded_file lacked an openbasedir check.
    > That feature was added on the request of tozz. move_uploaded_file was
    > able to move files to directories writeable for the apache user because
    > of some other bug (, that was fixed several days before the bugreport)
    > that was not within move_uploaded_file but in some other place.
    >
    > Beside that: maybe you can tell me where the apache user has write
    > access to (beside /tmp) on a properly configured system?
    > This bug only allows to create new files, it is not possible to
    > write to already existing files. So the whole "security" impact on
    > a properly configured system is in my eyes that a customer is able
    > to fill the harddisk.
    >

    > Stefan Esser

    /usr/local/apache/proxy on a default apache install.

     patrick oonk - pine internet - patrickat_private - www.pine.nl/~patrick
     T:+31-70-3111010 - F:+31-70-3111011 - Read news at http://security.nl
     PGPid A4E74BBF  fp A7CF 7611 E8C4 7B79 CA36  0BFD 2CB4 7283 A4E7 4BBF
     Note: my NEW PGP key is available at http://www.pine.nl/~patrick/
     Excuse of the day: bad ether in the cables