RE: [VulnWatch] NMRC Advisory - KeyManager Issue in ISS RealSecur e on Nokia Appliances

From: Rouland, Chris (ISSAtlanta) (CRoulandat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 10:32:21 PST

    NOTE TO MODERATORS:  If you choose to post a technical debate including Mr.
    hellNbak's reply, please include my follow-up post.  I question whether or a
    not a documented flaw is worthy of post-alert debate, when this should have
    been resolved by the research organization and ISS prior to publication.  It
    is questionable across all charters of the lists here.

    Since NMRC is essentially republishing an ISS document in this 'advisory',
    this is typically referred to as a security Alert, not an Advisory, since it
    is not original security content.

    ----

    Mr. hellNbak,

    I have made two inquiries to you via email about reproducing this problem,
    with no response.  What you are referring to is an escalation of privilege,
    from a console that already has been configured and keyed by the sensor
    administrator.  We confirm this in our security bulletin in the ISS KB.  For
    a remote attacker to obtain the keys to establish a session, the /Keys
    directory on the IPSO box would have to be compromised, requiring root
    privs.

    It is difficult to 'talk' to someone who describes themselves as "Not too
    many people know who I am or my true identity and I like to keep it that
    way.  This is not because I have something to hide, or because am trying to
    hide behind a handle but because in order to keep my work life and personal
    hacking life separate I must use a handle."  I had no way to get in touch
    with you, besides email.  I suggest that NMRC uses more standard procedures
    in issuing security advisories if you care for them to be precise in the
    future.  We should have been having this conversation before you posted your
    'advisory' which was a documented issue since Feb 6, 2002.

    -Chris

    PS: I have no further comments regarding this issue.  For technically
    accurate information regarding the flaw, please reference ISS KB
    #020206-000005.