Re: ATMSNMPD Vulnerable but not Addressed

From: Emre Yildirim (emre.yildirimat_private)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 11:01:25 PDT

    > ATMSNMPD vulnerable???? Yep! I am challenging anyone out
    > there to find information on line stating that Sun's
    > ATMSNMPD is vulnerable to attack.  As of today May 13 2002
    > there is no information identifying this fact.  If you are
    > running SunATM 4.0 or 5.0 and have not added the patches
    > below you are vulnerable to attack.  Is there sun
    > documentation identifying the vulnerability and the urgent
    > need to implement the patch?  As of today there is not.

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fpatches%2F107915&zone_32=107915http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fpatches%2F109039&zone_32=109039-09
    The patch description doesn't mention what type of vulnerability other than
    "atmsnmpd crashes due to improper handling of malicious SNMPv1 request PDUs"
    This is the first time I heard about it myself.  Sun should have mentioned
    this problem in an official security advisory.  The patches are also not
    listed under
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=patches/xos-8&nav=pub-patches
     which is the "Recommended & Security Patches for Solaris" page.  Why is it
    not on there?  I have no clue.  I guess it is not a security issue or it
    isnt a recommended patch.

    Cheers

    Emre Yildirim
    emreat_private | emre.yildirimat_private