Re: It takes two to tango

From: Randy Hinders (rahindersat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 12:56:30 PDT

    As much as it pains me to say this, I feel I must (for sake of argument).
    There is an assumed risk in using any product.  The different analogies that
    people are coming up with are ludicrous.  Given the current political and
    prejudice* situations, litigation in the courts is not the way to go.  Our
    great nation was founded with freedom in mind, and this freedom is what we
    try to assist other nations in achieving.  It is this Freedom that allows
    our open market and Freedom of speech.  Our freedom of speech may or may not
    infringe upon a companies “intellectual property”.  Would we all be in
    agreement that no one else took apart the Wright Brothers first Bi-Plane and
    then reassembled it using their own tweaks?  No, I don’t think so.  The
    Wright Brothers and other Great Minds from the generation before us shared
    their ideas for the benefit of the common good.  Proof of this is the
    existence of the Engineers Club of Dayton Ohio.  Back in the day, if people
    didn’t like what product ABC did or did not do they used the freedom of an
    open market to purchase someone else’s product or they used their freedom of
    independent thinking to create a better ABC.

    That is what we need to do.  Boycott the vendor who does not work with the
    consumer watchdogs.  Should a vulnerability be found “Without criminal
    intent” a message of said vulnerabilities should be sent to the watchdogs
    who then work with the vendors.  The vendors should make a “reasonable
    effort” to reproduce the vulnerability (after all the watchdog is most
    likely going to reproduce it so the vendor should be able to reproduce it).
    If the vendor fails to take appropriate actions then the vendor should be
    placed on a black list.  The consumers (you and me) then do not purchase
    items from those vendors.  However, we do not need to overwhelm our judicial
    system with frivolous lawsuits because it is US the consumers who need to
    ASSUME the risk of making any information public.

    We all know the only way to have a totally secure system is to not turn it
    on.  Knowing this we must assume that risk and let our customers know the
    risk.  Or it will come down to suing the local news station for announcing
    the severe lighting storm which in turn struck the office causing a surge
    which melted the CPU onto the motherboard causing a downtime of 4 hours.
    During these 4 hours employees were not able to utilize the computer system
    thus causing a loss of wages…. Come on people….  It is like the cold war
    scenario all aver again “I can blow your country up more time than you can
    blow my country up”.

    No one wins.  However, do not under estimate the power of your dollar, which
    is a war that can (and is daily) be won.

    Randy Hinders

    * Prejudices = as in an irrational attitude to sue over the pettiest of
    things to include someone feelings being hurt… life is hard and it sometimes
    sucks, get used to it.