It takes two to tango

From: Richard M. Smith (rmsat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 19:52:45 PDT

    Hi,

    I just read the article at News.com
    (http://news.com.com/2100-1023-947325.html?tag=fd_top) about the
    controversy between HP and Snosoft.  It seems that HP is upset that
    details of a dangerous security hole in the HP Tru64 operating system
    were published by "Phased", a security researcher with Snosoft, here on
    Bugtraq.  I really feel that HP went way over the line by trying to
    place all the blame on Snosoft for HP's security hole by invoking the
    DMCA and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

    If this particular security hole is ever exploited by the "bad guys",
    we'll probably have both HP and Phased to thank.  It really does take
    two to tango.  The Phased exploit code would never have been published
    if HP programmers didn't mess up in the first place.

    So this quote from Kent Ferson of HP in the News.com article was
    probably a big mistake:

       "Ferson also said that HP reserves
       the right to sue SnoSoft and its members "for monies
       and damages caused by the posting and any use of the
       buffer overflow exploit."

    Pretty clearly if there were ever to be any lawsuits over this
    particular bug, HP has much deeper pockets which are much easier to get
    to.

    BTW, I'm neither a fan of the DMCA nor of people publishing exploit code
    for security holes:

       Digital Copyright Act Harms Research

    http://www.privacyfoundation.org/commentary/tipsheet.asp?id=47&action=0

       Can we afford full disclosure of security holes?
       http://www.computerbytesman.com/security/fd.htm

    Thanks,
    Richard M. Smith
    http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com