Re: Undocumented account vulnerability in Avaya P550R/P580/P880/P882 switches

From: Mike Scher (mscherat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 16:20:36 PDT

    550R) with software version 4.3.5.

    We found:

    1) The accounts (manuf and diag) are clearly present in the config and
    easily seen with 'show running-conf' or 'show startup-conf'
    2) They are system accounts and cannot be deleted
    3) They have by default the passwords indicated by Mr. Lipkowski
    4) They CAN have their passwords changed by the 'root user' and the
    changes save sucessfully across reloads.

    We'd ask that others verify (for other software/hardware combinations)
    whether they can change the account passwords ( 'username manuf password
    foo' ), and save them ( 'copy running-config startup-config' ), reload,
    and check whether the passwords changes have saved.

    As an aside:

    While testing, we noticed that accounts with the same password show the
    same saved hash, indicating that only one salt is in use.  That may be a
    legacy item on the P550, which is discontinued and stuck at 4.3.5 version
    software.

    We'd ask others to check whether this (minor, but nevertheless real) issue
    is present in newer revisions as well.

          -Mike

    --
    Michael Scher         |     Director, Neohapsis Labs
    mscherat_private  |     General Counsel