Re: Bind 8 bug experience

From: Chris Adams (cmadamsat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 06:57:12 PST

    Once upon a time, Michael Brennen <mbrennenat_private> said:
    > Three bugs in bind 4 and 8 were announced this morning, November 12.
    > At least one has the possibility of arbitrary code execution, and
    > the ISC web site lists it as 'Serious'.
    >
    > At 13:02 CST this afternoon per the ISC announcement, about an hour
    > after receiving the bug announcement, I requested bind 8 patches
    > from Lynda McGinley, Executive Director of ISC.  I received a
    > response from her roughly 8 hours later this evening that I had been
    > added to the patch announce list.  My thanks to Lynda for that, but
    > she did not give direct information on where to get the patches, and
    > I have received nothing from the patch announce list.  I don't know
    > when I can expect to receive anything -- tonight, next week, or next
    > month?

    I also (per the announcement from ISC) emailed Lynda McGinley requesting
    patches.  I never received a response.  I kept watch on the ISC web site
    and downloaded the patch last night (the file timestamps in the patch
    are all Oct 30 2002, so the patch was ready in plenty of time).

    We cannot upgrade some of our servers to BIND 9 because it (in my
    experience and in the experience of others) is not stable on Compaq/HP
    Tru64 Unix.  Repeated messages on the BIND mailing list by myself and
    others have been ignored (except by other Tru64 users with the same
    problems), so as far as I know, no work is going on to fix BIND 9 on
    Tru64.  We either run BIND 8 or don't run BIND (and despite the work
    involved in switching, running something other than BIND is looking
    good).

    --
    Chris Adams <cmadamsat_private>