Re: Asus AAM6000EV ADSL Router Wide Open

From: Ben Wheeler (jamminat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 06:01:34 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 07:45:38PM +0100, cw wrote:
    > Asus have been notified but haven't even acknowledged yet alone mentioned a fix.
    >
    > If the inbuilt webserver is activated, anyone on the local network
    > can get the full user/pass list from the router without any identification

    It's far worse than that, if the state in which my router was supplied is
    typical. As I received it, the webserver was enabled by default, *and*
    was accessible from the internet as well as the local network. I had to
    explicitly set up ip_filter rules to restrict access (the same goes for
    telnet access by the way). Worse, there was a bug which caused ip_filter
    rules not to be saved properly, so they were not restored after a reset.
    Fortunately this has been fixed in the last flash update (71205a32) but
    this same update also removes the requirement to specify a username.
    You now only need any one of the valid passwords to login. Asus really
    don't seem to have a clue. Finding out what has changed between the flash
    versions, either from them or from Solwise the UK distributors, is impossible.

    It takes a particularly special kind of incompetence to keep the passwords
    unencrypted and accessible via the webserver. I certainly won't be buying
    another of their products.

    The only workaround I know of is to set up ip_filter rules, which is way
    beyond the capabilities of most home users (truthfully, quite a number
    may not even have changed the default login password). I'm not aware of
    any way to disable the httpd completely. Anyone?

    Ben Wheeler