RE: Bin Laden use of Internet

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 18:23:05 PDT

    I am reasonably sure this can't be done. No single organization has the
    power to block traffic en mass. The Internet is global. There are
    millions of routers on foreign grounds that can send packets to routers
    here in the USA. It would be impossible to command all those routers to
    stop sending packets from Afghanistan.

    The whole nature of packet routing doesn't really allow for traffic
    control at such a level. If a router doesn't know what to do with a
    packet, it ships it to a different router that does. Basically, those
    packets will keep on jumping around the Internet until they find a
    router that will take care of them (or the packet's Time to Live, TTL
    expires, which at 254 hops, the default, is a lot of hops to find a
    router that cares).

    Furthermore, there is not any technology out there working at a macro
    level to say "hey you're a packet from Afghanistan, you go in the trash
    heap."  We cannot practically put firewalls on every possible data line
    into the USA. Seeing as how most firewalls melt down on heavily loaded
    T-1s, I cannot imagine putting on on an OC-48. It would probably burst
    into flames.

    Not to mention the fact that Osama could very easily call a friend in
    Germany to send the email for him from an ISP in Germany. Now how would
    we stop that? It would be coming from a German address?

    Sorry.

    Andrew Plato
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation