Re: Sign of the times?

From: Alan (alan@private)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 09:33:09 PST

    On Sunday 04 November 2001 21:33, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > Mark Morrissey wrote:
    >  >On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    >  >>My main comment on CRIME is that it should switch from Majordomo (which
    >  >>is a pain in the ass to manage) to Mailman (which is much easier to
    >  >>manage, and has excellent spam control options).
    >  >
    >  >I assume, at this point, that Crispin is volunteering Wirex to host
    >  >CRIME? PSU has deep experience with majordomo and I can say with pretty
    >  >good authority that the CRIME list doesn't cause any pain to the support
    >  >group.
    >
    > No, just offering my experience of running lists at WireX using Mailman.
    > I just hate trying to use Majordomo.

    Majordomo has had some serious security risks in the past as well.  (It would
    be bad publicity for the CRIME list to get hacked.)

    >  >If whoever is the owner of CRIME wants to make it a closed list, well,
    >  >that would stop *some* spam.
    >
    > I advocate closed lists (only subscribers can post). It cuts WAAY down
    > on spam: in my experience, it cuts it to zero. Under Mailman, a closed
    > list presents non-subscriber posts to the moderator, rather than
    > rejecting them out of hand. I don't know if Majordomo can do that.

    I have found that a pain for people who read and post from multiple machines.

    Bouncing all messages that do not have the list name in the "To: or Cc:"
    fields seems to work just as well.

    Has there actually been any spam on this list?  I have only been on it a
    short time, but the only complaints of spam that I have seen were over
    off-topic posts, not actual spam.

    > WireX's lists are closed, and it works very well.  Occasionally people
    > try to spam it, but I'm the only one who sees the spam. Occasionally a
    > non-subscriber posts something topical, and I pass it through.  Spam
    > out-numbers the non-subscriber topical posts, so this arrangement works.

    Are any of those spams sent to the list directly or are they all Bcced?

    >  > If they also want to make it so that the
    >  >owner has to approve all subscriptions, well, that won't stop all spam
    >  > now will it?
    >
    > Spammer's never bother to subscribe to a list just to spam it, because
    > to do so they would have to provide a valid return address, as well as
    > working pretty hard just to spam one little list. Their entire approach
    > is based on massive lists and low-effort per addressee, so they never do
    > any dilligance.

    It would also require reading comprehension and the proper use of capital
    letters. Not skills spammers ever have.  (MLMs are worse. They failed math as
    well.)

    >  >sigh. politics.
    >
    > Advocacy. It's all up to George, and I'm not going to dispute how he
    > runs his list. These are just suggestions, and I have not seen George
    > post lately.

    Should people worry about FBI agents making lists? ]:>