Re: Sign of the times?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 21:33:35 PST

    Mark Morrissey wrote:

     >On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Crispin Cowan wrote:
     >
     >>My main comment on CRIME is that it should switch from Majordomo (which
     >>is a pain in the ass to manage) to Mailman (which is much easier to
     >>manage, and has excellent spam control options).
     >>
     >I assume, at this point, that Crispin is volunteering Wirex to host
     >CRIME? PSU has deep experience with majordomo and I can say with pretty
     >good authority that the CRIME list doesn't cause any pain to the support
     >group.

    No, just offering my experience of running lists at WireX using Mailman.
    I just hate trying to use Majordomo.

     >If whoever is the owner of CRIME wants to make it a closed list, well,
     >that would stop *some* spam.

    I advocate closed lists (only subscribers can post). It cuts WAAY down
    on spam: in my experience, it cuts it to zero. Under Mailman, a closed
    list presents non-subscriber posts to the moderator, rather than
    rejecting them out of hand. I don't know if Majordomo can do that.

    WireX's lists are closed, and it works very well.  Occasionally people
    try to spam it, but I'm the only one who sees the spam. Occasionally a
    non-subscriber posts something topical, and I pass it through.  Spam
    out-numbers the non-subscriber topical posts, so this arrangement works.

     > If they also want to make it so that the
     >owner has to approve all subscriptions, well, that won't stop all spam now
     >will it?

    Spammer's never bother to subscribe to a list just to spam it, because
    to do so they would have to provide a valid return address, as well as
    working pretty hard just to spam one little list. Their entire approach
    is based on massive lists and low-effort per addressee, so they never do
    any dilligance.

     >sigh. politics.

    Advocacy. It's all up to George, and I'm not going to dispute how he
    runs his list. These are just suggestions, and I have not seen George
    post lately.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.