RE: CRIME Kudos to Acting Police Chief Andrew Kirkland

From: Kuo, Jimmy (Jimmy_Kuo@private)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 00:16:39 PST

    >>Mr. Kohlenberg, you seem to have a strong resentment of
    >>government's role in your life. That's a joke, dude.

    >Toby is not alone.

    I have noticed something in all this.  That is, the sentiment on the east
    coast is very different than that of the west coast.

    And I present to you why:

    Mukul Agarwala
    http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0109/missing/files/agarwala.mukul.html
    Mukul and I spent anywhere from 1 to 5 hours a day, every day, during summer
    months, usually playing tennis.  Then as President of the Chess Club and
    captain of the Math team, I helped to cultivate his capabilities in each of
    these two disciplines in HS.

    I write this, the first words I've written on this subject, as Jimmy Kuo,
    class of '78, South Brunswick HS, NJ.

    And why is the sentiment different on the east coast?  In the NYC area,
    everyone has a similar story of someone they knew who was alive on Sept. 10,
    or at worst, someone who knew someone.

    And everyone on the east coast knows someone in the NYC area.

    Six degrees of separation on Sept 10 became three on Sept 11.

    Jimmy

    -----

    The New York Times, October 31, 2001

    Mukul K. Agarwala
    'Here's Lookin' at You, Kid'

    After he folded an Internet company in San Diego last spring, Mukul K.
    Agarwala moved back east to be near his parents in Kendall Park, N.J.,
    because they were in failing health. His sense of family extended to his
    friends' children, too. "He would call every month to ask for a new photo of
    our daughter, Riya," said Neeraj Mital, a friend since college.

    Mr. Agarwala's widow, Rhea Stone, said that his sense of concern went even
    further. Not long after they met in Hong Kong in 1993, she said, he saw a
    newspaper article about a mistreated domestic worker who, like Mr.
    Agarwala's parents, had come from India. He went to the Indian diplomatic
    mission and paid her fare back home.

    Ms. Stone said her husband's enthusiasms ranged from snowboarding to reading
    history to old movies. She could not remember how many times they had
    watched "Casablanca." On Sept. 11, Mr. Agarwala, 37, was in his second day
    as a research analyst on software for Fiduciary Trust.