Re: CRIME Kudos to Acting Police Chief Andrew Kirkland

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 00:28:02 PST

    webb1973 wrote:

    >I think I've seen some of the reading material you're talking about. Sorry,
    >but I just don't agree with most of it. ... That's why I'm
    >thankful every day that I have the opportunity to think, say, and believe
    >whatever I choose because I am a citizen of the US. Corny as that sounds, I
    >believe there's no other place better than right here, and even with all
    >it's faults, our system allows us rights and freedoms unlike anywhere else.

    It is not about the US vs. Country X. It is about the US vs. its own
    ideals, like life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and equal
    treatment of all under the law. The US can be much better than it is, by
    adhering to its own ideals, which it is NOT doing. In particular, the
    current administration is engaging in a horrid power-grab under the
    guise of "extreme circumstances." Circumstances may be extreme, but the
    relationship between the circumstances and proposed responses is
    tenuous, at best.

    >It's also why I respect your view and believe in your right to express it,

    On occasion, feel free to actually respond to any of the points that
    people have made, rather than resorting to patriotic jingoism. How in
    the Hell is it ok to round up and question people based on racial
    profiling? The "they are witnesses, not suspects" excuse is weak, at best.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.