RE: CRIME Kudos to Acting Police Chief Andrew Kirkland

From: webb1973 (webb1973@private)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 16:04:40 PST

    Again, good point, Mr. Kuo. Having had some limited exposure to this, I
    suspect that the tribunals would be conducted under international law, and
    would be handled procedurally similar to the war crimes tribunals that are
    now being conducted at the Hague regarding the Kosovo conflict. Without
    conducting it's terrorism tribunal in a similar manner employing similar
    guidelines, and probably at the Hague also, the US would lose the support of
    other nations. Politically, at least, the US would find itself unable to
    establish legitimacy under international law if it did otherwise. In such
    tribunals, international law does not require the evidentiary restrictions
    that our domestic courts employ in criminal matters. It is more akin to
    rules of evidence used in our domestic administrative courts. How this type
    of wire interception would be handled is anybody's guess because the law is
    still evolving, but prosecutors would have to lay a proper foundation to
    show how the evidence was compiled, etc.