Re: Proposed CRIME List Charter

From: David Duncan (dduncan@private)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 12:16:44 PST

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Jere Retzer wrote:

    > Great start, in my opinion. I actually would like to read about the
    > excluded items as well but will go along with the group. I would
    > substitute however these items as off-topic: (1) commercial
    > solicitations of any kind (excluding announcements of seminars that
    > may be of general interest) and (2) "political" and "religious" topics
    > such as law enforcement monitoring, content-filtering, export controls
    > on technology, etc

    Like Mr. Retzer, I like the proposed charter, but have similar (mild)
    reservations about the original 'off topic' examples.  I would think that
    non-oregon-specific security and virus issues would be appropriate,
    although only in a high-level way (eg, 'Here's a common new attack, here's
    a link to a page discussing it in detail').

    Where I disagree with Mr. Retzer: I don't think ALL commercial-ish
    postings should be banned, nor should discussion on current or pending law
    enforcement practices (as this would nullify a valuable part of networking
    between law enforcement and the private sector).

    Here's Mr. Cowan's proposal, with comments/additions:

    Education) an Oregon working group, based in Portland, OR, dedicated to
    combining Law Enforcement, High-Tech Industry, and Academic resources.
    The purpose is to conduct high-tech training and foster networking among
    members in areas of computer-related investigations, security, and
    education. Information about C.R.I.M.E. meetings can be found here
    http://crime.zotconsulting.com/

    This mailing list is for discussions pertinent to the C.R.I.M.E.
    meetings, and C.R.I.M.E.'s mission: computer security, as it pertains to
    law-enforcement and computer crime in Oregon. Valid topics include:

    [The 1st paragraph looks great, but the 2nd paragraph seems way, way too
    narrow a restatement.  Maybe unnecessary, given how closely it follows the
    concise original.  Maybe just say 'as stated above'?]

    This mailing list is for discussions pertinent to the C.R.I.M.E.
    meetings, and C.R.I.M.E.'s mission (as stated above). Valid topics
    include:

        * anything pertaining to the content of a meeting or speaker
        * breaking news about computer security issues
        * computer security incidents of interest to Oregon law enforcement
        * general computer security issues of particular interest to Oregon
          and southern Washington

    [Those are good, I'd add at least two more re. networking:]

        * elevating awareness of how technology, laws, law enforcement
          policies, and company policies can interact practically
        * announcing member resources relevant to the CRIME mission

    - David