Re: Proposed CRIME List Charter

From: Jere Retzer (retzerj@private)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 11:49:14 PST

    Great start, in my opinion. I actually would like to read about the excluded items as well but will go along with the group. I would substitute however these items as off-topic: (1) commercial solicitations of any kind (excluding announcements of seminars that may be of general interest) and (2) "political" and "religious" topics such as law enforcement monitoring, content-filtering, export controls on technology, etc

    Steve Layman wrote:

    > I would not mind moderating the list as I too think it is needed. I
    > also agree and vote for a closed list. As to the charter I have never
    > put one together before and do not know a proper format but am again
    > willing to compile inputs and publish for review.

    This is the list charter that I drafted for George about 2 months ago.
    George has never said yay or nay to my charter, so it is not official.
     AFAIK, it is George's list, so "votes" don't count, unless George
    chooses to put it to a vote. But IMHO, this charter would be very
    functional, and seems to fit the goals of what most of the people here want.

    And it would cut down on the meta-discussion about what CRIME is
    supposed to be about :-)

    Note that there are a few blanks in the charter, e.g. for appropriate
    resources for talking about virii. I assume that Jimmy can come up with
    better resources than I can.

    Crispin
    ---------(draft charter)------------------
    mailing list for C.R.I.M.E (Computer Related Investigations Management &
    Education) an Oregon working group, based in Portland, OR, dedicated to
    combining Law Enforcement, High-Tech Industry, and Academic resources.
    The purpose is to conduct high-tech training and foster networking among
    members in areas of computer-related investigations, security, and
    education. Information about C.R.I.M.E. meetings can be found here
    http://crime.zotconsulting.com/

    This mailing list is for discussions pertinent to the C.R.I.M.E.
    meetings, and C.R.I.M.E.'s mission: computer security, as it pertains to
    law-enforcement and computer crime in Oregon. Valid topics include:

        * anything pertaining to the content of a meeting or speaker
        * breaking news about computer security issues
        * computer security incidents of interest to Oregon law enforcement
        * general computer security issues of particular interest to Oregon
          and southern Washington

    Off-topic issues that should go more appropriate forums include:

        * firewall issues: suggest it to to Firewall Wizards
          http://list.nfr.com/forum/firewall-wizards.html
        * generic security vulnerability issues: suggest it go to
          http://www.securityfocus.com/
        * computer virus issues: [??? Get Jimmy Kuo to tell us the best
          virus resources; I'm not a virus guy. Best I could find is this
          http://www.cert.org/other_sources/viruses.html ]

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.