Re: CRIME Perspective on Criticisms leveled at Microsoft

From: Alan (alan@private)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 14:56:02 PDT

    On Tuesday 09 April 2002 02:06 pm, Jere Retzer wrote:
    > Seems like everyone is going to philosophize so I might as well join:
    >
    > 1) Security holes are proportional to bugs is proportional to lines of code
    > -- Win 2000 is what--30 million lines?

    Sometimes I think this "estimate" is used as an excuse for bad code.  It makes
    it seem as if security flaws are inevitable, so why bother.  With proper
    attention, this sort of problem should be a minor problem, not a regular
    occurrence.

    > 2) Microsoft philosophy of embrace,
    > extend, 3rd party developers makes it inherently easy to hack

    Microsoft makes a number of rules for developers as to what they can and
    cannot do.  Unfortunately, they ignore those rules when it is to their own
    advantage.  For example, in order to get MS Office to work on NT Terminal
    Server, you need to give everyone WRITE access to the system directory.

    > 3) Win is so
    > large and complex now it will never be secure

    Not without a rewrite and not without breaking a great deal of backwards
    compatibility.  I don't think it will happen if they continue to allow
    features to drive the OS at the expense of everything else.

    > 4) Exponential growth in infrastructure attacks and net criticality demand
    > controlled, accountable access
    >
    > IMHO, we need to look ahead to the time of always-on, always-reliable
    > networks with minimalist client operating systems (ie, a simple browser),
    > services hosted on secure servers not user machines, a reinvented 'sandbox'
    > along the lines planned with Java, and controlled/accountable access to the
    > Internet.

    We also need to take account that sometimes the best defense if to not be
    connected to the net at all.  Current Windows versions seem to assume that
    you have a connection to the net for each and every machine that you have.
    (They are not the only ones, BTW.  Many other software companies make the
    same assumption.)  People have been sold on the idea that the have to be able
    to "surf the web" and get e-mail from anything and everything that they lose
    sight of what the machine is for in the first place.  For example, there
    should be no reason why air traffic control systems should be connected to a
    public network. Yet it happens, usually because someone involved insisted
    that they had to have net access. There are many other types of
    infrastructure systems that should not be connected to public networks.  The
    military and related agencies understood that back when people who were clued
    made the decisions. Since such things are now in the hands of higher ranking
    and less technically skilled people, more and more systems that should not be
    available to the rest of the world are.

    It becomes even worse when they allow systems with a low fault rate get
    replaced by systems known for their failures. (Can you say "blue screen of
    death"? I knew you could!)  No system should accidentally be rendered
    inoperable by user error. (Especially in a mission critical environment.) If
    "someone entered a zero in the wrong place, so the system froze", then you
    need to rethink using that OS at all.  Such things are not acceptable in a
    mission critical environment, even more-so on a warship.

    There are people who go out of the way to ding Microsoft for everything, there
    are some who go out of the way to forgive Microsoft for everything.  They are
    unwilling to see the flaws in Microsoft no matter how much data is put before
    them. They are unwilling to see clear and blatant evidence of Microsoft
    misbehavior, no matter how obvious.  The excuses get to be a bit much to
    those who actually remember the past beyond the last press release. But that
    does not stop the faithful from proseletizing to the unconverted. (For
    without such conversion of the masses, their tithes, or license fees, would
    be meaningless.)