Re: CRIME Perspective on Criticisms leveled at Microsoft

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 15:50:23 PDT

    Robert S. Jacobsen wrote:

    >Microsoft is not the only company making the assumption that every computer
    >is connected to the Internet.  Symantec leaps to mind with its Live Update.
    >Don't get me wrong, its a nice feature, but is totally useless unless you
    >are connected to the Internet.

    But at least Symantec does not actually *assume* that you are
    net-connected. Last time I used Norton AV, it had an alternate update
    mechanism that let you download the signature file using FTP, and then
    sneakernet the update to the PC in question.

    On the other hand, it is actually constructive to assume that all
    machines are net-connected from the perspective of threat models. ALWAYS
    assume that there is a bad guy vampire-clamped directly to the ethernet
    cable going into your workstation, and you will be ok. That means
    refusing to enter passwords unless they are going via SSH or SSL

    The alternative is to assume that the firewall is working perfectly, and
    that there are no bad guys on the network. This is a manifestly
    dangerous thing to do. <greybeard>Several years ago, someone broke into
    the OGI network, hacked a machine, and installed a password sniffer.
    When we found it, it had collected hundreds of passwords, including some
    senior CS professors. It had not collected mine, because I ALWAYS use
    SSH or SSL for all remote access.</greybeard>

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.