RE: CRIME Perspective on Criticisms leveled at Microsoft

From: Robert S. Jacobsen (cwpcpa@private)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 11:07:37 PDT

    Microsoft is not the only company making the assumption that every computer
    is connected to the Internet.  Symantec leaps to mind with its Live Update.
    Don't get me wrong, its a nice feature, but is totally useless unless you
    are connected to the Internet.  One would think that Microsoft would have
    realized that not every user or computer needs access.  It would be nice if
    I could restrict individual users from accessing the Internet simply and
    easily, like with a Group Policy setting.  If its in there, I sure haven't
    been able to find it.  Until I have that capability, setting up access from
    all networked computers is out.  Too bad as it would be nice to make use of
    Internet access from some of them to keep up on the needed security patches
    from the same company that doesn't give us the capability to limit access
    (i.e. Microsoft).  Oh well, thats my rant for the day.  Back to work.

    Robert S. Jacobsen
    Operator/Network Technician
    Cowlitz Water Pollution Control Plant

    Mailing address           Shipping address
    207 Fourth Ave. North     467 Fiber Way
    Kelso, WA 98626           Longview, WA 98632

    (360)577-2020 voice
    (360)577-2040 voice
    (360)577-2041 fax
    cwpcpa@private