CRIME HDCP and the Hollings Bill

From: T. Kenji Sugahara (sugahara@private)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 00:00:53 PDT

    WARNING:  The following is a rant.  I would love to get feedback though.

    I remember at a CRIME meeting a long time ago, HDCP was discussed.  The
    question that I have about HDCP is whether it will render current models
    of HDTV sets obsolete.  The reason being, that I just purchased a HDTV
    set and would be quite annoyed (along with 2 million other early
    adopters) if my investment was rendered obsolete within the next few
    years.

    In addition,  the CBDPTA (Hollings Bill)  has come before Congress.
    Frankly, I'm pretty annoyed by the introduction of this bill.  While it
    is fair to say that copyright holders' interests need to be protected,
    the fair use rights of the consumer also need to be protected.  The
    internet has truly changed the idea of copyright, and instead of
    changing their business models to embrace new technology, many
    production houses have decided to fight innovation and have entrenched
    themselves in the old paradigm.  (Example:  Michael Eisner decrying
    Apple for "condoning" copyright infringement through their Rip, Mix,
    Burn advertisement for the iBook).  I for one rip songs off of CD's I
    own and like to create my own mixes for my drive down to Eugene.  Will I
    soon be a law breaker if I do that with a copy protected CD?  I really
    hope not, and  I certainly don't want my first sale doctrine rights
    legislated away.

    Do you agree with Edward Felten when he said "every copy protection
    scheme for general purpose computers that has undergone serious public
    scrutiny has been found to be ineffective. Consider what will happen if
    a government mandated protection measure turns out not to work. Such a
    measure would do many things: it would inconvenience honest consumers;
    it would raise the price of media players; it would lengthen product
    development cycles; it would impede the development of new and better
    standards. Everyone would suffer, except the pirates. The industry that
    devised the measure would look technically inept, and the government
    that mandated its use would look worse."?

    I know we're an organization which is founded to help prevent
    cyber/electronic crime, but what happens when the laws go too far?  Do
    we need a Consumer Technology Bill of Rights?  What's your stance?

    T. Kenji Sugahara
    Chief Operating Officer
    counterclaim
    Phone:  541-484-9235