Re: CRIME BlackHat and DefCon

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 10:29:37 PDT

    Jordan Gackowski wrote:

    >Just got back from Vegas last night - attended DefCon and the BlackHat
    >briefings.
    >
    >I have the CDs of all the speakers presentations, white papers, etc.

    We were at DefCon, too. We played an Immunix server in the Capture the
    Flag <http://www.ghettohackers.net/ctf/> games. We were white/"Weiss
    Labs", and finished 2nd of 8, just a smidge behind 1st. The Immunix
    server was never 0wned. Here's some press coverage
    <http://news.com.com/2100-1001-948404.html> and here's a detailed
    analysis
    <http://mail.wirex.com/pipermail/immunix-users/2002-August/000511.html>
    from our point of view.

    CtF gaming is pretty intense; we were nailed down to the game room from
    10 am to 10 pm the entire time, and too tired to move the rest of the
    time, so we didn't see any of the rest of the con. I completely missed
    partaking of all the drinking and naked women :)

    Big thanks to Toby, who played for our team and was amazing.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/