Re: CRIME BlackHat and DefCon

From: Toby (toby@private)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 17:36:56 PDT

    Crispin Cowan writes:

    > We were at DefCon, too. We played an Immunix server in the Capture the
    > Flag <http://www.ghettohackers.net/ctf/> games. We were white/"Weiss
    > Labs", and finished 2nd of 8, just a smidge behind 1st. The Immunix
    > server was never 0wned. Here's some press coverage
    > <http://news.com.com/2100-1001-948404.html> and here's a detailed
    > analysis
    > <http://mail.wirex.com/pipermail/immunix-users/2002-August/000511.html>
    > from our point of view.

    Which, I should say was an excellent job considering it was their first
    year.
    Congrats to both the attacking and defending teams from Weiss!

    > CtF gaming is pretty intense; we were nailed down to the game room from
    > 10 am to 10 pm the entire time, and too tired to move the rest of the
    > time, so we didn't see any of the rest of the con. I completely missed
    > partaking of all the drinking and naked women :)

    I actually managed to do a fair bit of drinking and watching of naked women
    (at one point we had one woman get upset because we were talking about
    security instead of watching her. :) ) It was still excellent all around
    and
    I'm even more impressed with the WireX guys after seeing them pull off the
    defense.

    > Big thanks to Toby, who played for our team and was amazing.

    Awww, shucks. 'twern't nothing. :)
    My goal is to go back next year and do some serious attacking. I'd
    recommend
    anyone who does pentesting try to attend as it is a wonderful experience to
    not have to worry about whether an attack will crash your customer's
    system.

    Toby