Re: CRIME Earthlink strikes again...

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 18:01:57 PDT

    On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 01:07:12PM -0700, Brent Irwin wrote:
    > They informed me that, indeed I had an account and it was confirmed by
    > my bank account number and a phone number. I asked for the numbers,
    > and to no surprise both were completely bogus.
    [...]
    > The technician was not at liberty to say.

    But they _were_ at liberty to tell you what numbers they had for bank
    account and telephone?

    > Mix this with the fact that Earthlink knows your password and
    > the sky is the limit.

    Heh, if they were willing to _DISCLOSE_ over the telephone a bank
    account and telephone number of a subscriber, knowing your password
    PALES in comparison.

    I'm _so_ glad AT&T finally laid the cable to supply us with broadband
    goodness and we were able to say goodbye to earthlink/mindspring.

    (As a side note, teleport, who we originally had for our ISP service
    before mergers brought us to earthlink/mindspring, had no qualms about
    re-billing credit card information automatically when accounts expired
    without giving any advance warning that they were going to do so. Maybe
    this heinous practice has stopped with earlink/minkspring, maybe it
    hasn't.)

    --
    http://immunix.org/