CRIME Earthlink strikes again...

From: Brent Irwin (birwin@private)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 13:07:12 PDT

    I've been sitting on the sidelines for a while, just learning from you all. I appreciate the good, the bad, and the ugly. I thought this would be relevant for this group.

    Last week I received a bill from Earthlink. My first inkling was to throw the envelope away because I have never dealt with them, but I opened it nonetheless. It was a pass due billing for services that I had signed up for. I cordially contacted my new best friends at Earthlink to inform them that I had never opened any sort of account with them. They informed me that, indeed I had an account and it was confirmed by my bank account number and a phone number. I asked for the numbers, and to no surprise both were completely bogus. I asked what kind of verification they use when signing people up. The technician was not at liberty to say. They said they would send it to the fraud division, but they couldn't tell me how they verified if somebody was real or not. I've heard of impersonation, but this is too easy. Mix this with the fact that Earthlink knows your password and the sky is the limit.

    If any of you or someone you know works at Earthlink, I would love to know their method of checks and balances. This is almost as good as having dead people registered to vote.

    B r e n t  I r w i n
    I n f r a s t r u c t u r e  M a n a g e r