CRIME Security Justification

From: Jere Retzer (retzerj@private)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 08:24:54 PDT

    Seth made some excellent points in his post. Attacks are more or less random so I would not count on protection from a low profile. Some questions to ask yourself:

    - What would it cost us if our network were down for a day? A week?
    - What would it cost us to lose our Internet access for the same time frames?
    - What would it cost us if we lost our e-mail access for these time frames?
    - Do we have any critical information on any of our computers that are connected to the network that we cannot afford to lose, have exploited or changed, or publicized?
    - What would be the damage to our reputation if our systems were found to be a breeding ground or launching point for attacks on others?

    Then tailor your security accordingly

    I personally believe that even home users who have 'always on' service like DSL or cable modems should have at least a rudimentary firewall, virus protection and backup their data off line