RE: CRIME Security Justification

From: Kuo, Jimmy (Jimmy_Kuo@private)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 12:37:36 PDT

    Those are excellent questions.  But the answer must include, "How much did
    it cost 'them'?", who did go down.  For this, you need contacts of others in
    your similar situation, such as this group.  And out of however many you
    know, how many of those others were affected?  To gauge the probability of
    you being hit.

    Basically, your guesses won't work as justification.  You need hard data.

    And if you are already running security software, you must be able to
    quantify its effect.  This is why we and so many others are spending the
    effort to produce all these nice graphs and correlated data, to make it
    easier for you to prove to your boss why it was important to have our
    software.

    The thing about the security business is that the best result is when no one
    notices anything.  But if no one notices anything, were you actually doing
    anything?  When I asked recently about which viruses you caught, I got a
    small number of replies.  Perhaps, many of you had that information and
    didn't feel comfortable sharing it with me.  That is what I hope.  Because
    if you can't produce that information for your boss, you'll soon be out of a
    budget.

    Jimmy