Re: CRIME idea to help police respond to life-threatening abducti ons more e ffectively

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 16:23:23 PDT

    McCall, Bill wrote:

    >I am appalled by the concept of a "standing search warrant to look for a
    >missing person at any location of
    >interest to law enforcement."  While police forces are composed of many fine
    >individuals, I do believe there are at least 2 incidences of abuse by
    >members of this group, perhaps there have been a few others.

    If such a warrant could be strictly interpreted, i.e. the police could
    search where they want for the missing person, but they must ignore
    other evidence in plain sight, i.e. "walk past the weapons & drugs,
    we're looking for missing teenagers here." Otherwise, such a warrant
    does reduce to blanket right to unreasonable search.

    >  Consider the Richard Jewell case.

    More topical of CRIME, consider Steve Jackson Games
    <http://www.eff.org/Legal/Cases/SJG/>.

    >The law is inconvenient, but that is part of the price of freedom.

    I second that. Be careful with civil liberties; they are delicate, and
    rather badly fractured at the moment.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/