Re: CRIME idea to help police respond to life-threatening abductions more effectively

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 16:54:23 PDT

    Seth Arnold wrote:

    >It is my humble opinion (not as a representative of WireX
    >Communications) that if a police officer cannot convince a judge that he
    >or she has good cause to search someone or someone's property then the
    >police officer has not yet done sufficient research to justify
    >overruling the individual rights for the greater good.

    I actually agree with Seth: please do NOT propose any such legislation.
    Civil rights are far more important than the transient efficiency in
    chasing crooks.

    >If you wish to propose legislation creating an on-call judgeship
    >position to handle expedited searches, I would be interested in seeing
    >more. But I am not interested in any actions that would further infringe
    >upon the constitutional right against unreasonable search and seizure.

    Hmmm ... at least two evil thoughts come to mind:

        * "Justice Sweep": <insert "A-Team" music here> A new fast, exciting
          Fox TV Show. When Judges ride along with cops to issue warrants as
          fast as they issue bullets! Hot warrants and hot lead, delivered
          to your door in 30 minutes, and you're not free!
        * warrants.com: an on-line web portal, which cops can connect to
          using the laptops now commonly found in police cruisers. Type your
          vague justification to search a premesis into the web form, and
          get your warrant on-line in under 60 seconds. Expect a new WireX
          product offering by Q4 :)

    Caveat: I do hope everyone realizes that I'm kidding about everything
    except objection to standing warrants.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/