Re: CRIME idea to help police respond to life-threatening abductions more effectively

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 15:44:20 PDT

    On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 01:27:49PM -0700, Jerry Krummel wrote:
    > I have saved your comments to  see about drafting legislation along
    > some of the lines you have suggested. A standing search warrant type of
    > approach probably would be unconstitutional. I would always appreciate any
    > suggestions

    Jerry, had I known that input on this list would be more influential
    than just a thought experiement, I would have bothered to post my
    vehement objection to the standing warrant proposal.

    It is my humble opinion (not as a representative of WireX
    Communications) that if a police officer cannot convince a judge that he
    or she has good cause to search someone or someone's property then the
    police officer has not yet done sufficient research to justify
    overruling the individual rights for the greater good.

    If you wish to propose legislation creating an on-call judgeship
    position to handle expedited searches, I would be interested in seeing
    more. But I am not interested in any actions that would further infringe
    upon the constitutional right against unreasonable search and seizure.

    Thanks Jerry