Re: CRIME idea to help police respond to life-threatening abductions more e ffectively

From: T. Kenji Sugahara (sugahara@private)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 18:31:30 PDT

    Note:  the below statements should not be considered legal advice.

    It's really a matter of finding a balance.  As in most things, privacy
    rights tend to swing like a pendulum.  Since 9/11, they have swung
    toward the side of security over civil liberties.  Soon enough, it will
    swing back toward the middle and then over to civil liberties over
    security.

    While I am very pro-law enforcement, I am comfortable in saying that
    proposed legislation along those lines would be onerous and would be
    unconstitutional on its face.
    (Because of the requirements of particularity)

    Just to give you background on this issue, the 4th amendment states that
    "the rights of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, paper,
    and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be
    violated.... and no warrants shall be issued, but upon probable cause,
    supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place
    to be searched and the persons or things to be seized."

    "Any location" is far from particular.  This isn't an
    oversimplification.  Case law, plenty of it, outlines the strict demands
    of the 4th amendment.

    Probable cause is the belief that a suspect has committed a crime or
    that fruits, contraband, instrumentalities, or evidence of a crime will
    be found in a particular location at a particular time.  In addition,
    probable cause has to be proven to the satisfaction of a neutral and
    detached magistrate for a warrant to be issued.  Those are requirements
    of the 4th amendment.  The only way to get around them would be to have
    a constitutional amendment.

    The requirements of probable cause and presentation before a magistrate
    are not onerous.  In reality, judge's can be reached at a moments notice
    to obtain a warrant.  At least on the federal side, I have known
    instances where Judge Coffin was tracked down while on a bus on the way
    to a soccer game.  You can imagine the looks on the kid's face when they
    saw US Marshalls pull over their bus.  Needless to say the warrant was
    issued.

    As for probable cause, it exists where the facts and circumstances
    (which are reasonably trustworthy) are sufficient  in themselves to
    warrant a man of reasonable caution to believe that an offense has been
    committed.  Probable cause is an objective test which depends on what a
    reasonable police officer has a right to believe under the
    circumstances.  It generally requires individualized suspicion:  e.g.
    suspicion that -this suspect- is guilty of a crime or -this place-
    harbors contraband, fruits, evidence or instrumentalities of a crime.

    To give you an idea where on the spectrum probable stands:  Beyond a
    reasonable doubt would be 90% plus sure.  Preponderance would be 51%.
    44% would be probable cause and 31% would be reasonable suspicion.

    There are already provisions for warrantless searches.  Probable cause
    is always required.  However, courts take a balancing approach in
    determining how many facts are needed before an officer can have an
    exigent circumstance that relieves the officer of the warrant
    requirement.  If the crime that the police are investigating  and the
    established probable cause relating to that crime are serious and the
    intrusion that will occur is relatively minor, the exigencies will be
    enough.  Vale v. LA.

    Just to go back to your arguments:
    Firemen aren't going into your house to perform a search or a seizure.
    You can argue that they are going in to search for people.  Yes, that is
    true, but they are not going in to search for contraband, fruits of a
    crime, or evidence or the instrumentalities of a crime.

    Furthermore, fire can be considered an exigent circumstance.  If someone
    calls 911 and says there is a fire in a house the firemen can't just go
    barging through the door.  It has to be reasonable:  e.g. there has to
    be signs of a fire.  smoke, smell, or something.  Or there has to be
    consent.  A call from the residence would be enough to say that there
    was consent.

    Although the aims are noble enough, there is no way that any sort of
    proposal along those lines would survive any constitutional scrutiny.
    Remember:  the 4th amendment is a floor.  The state can give greater
    protections, but they can never fall below the federal constitutional
    standard.

    T. Kenji Sugahara
    Chief Operating Officer
    counterclaim