Re: CRIME Follow-up to my idea for helping law enforcement respond more effectively to life-threatening disappearances and abductions

From: charles radley (c.radley@private)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 07:39:46 PDT

    There is no reason to believe that giving the police unlimited search powers
    would have prevented this or any other abduction.

    In fact, there is reason to suspect that the authorities might not have made the
    most effective use of the information that was already available.

    Specifically, according to reports in the Oregonian today and yesterday, at
    least one of the victims had complained to child protective services prior to
    the abduction that she was being harassed by a certain individual.
    According to the Oregonian, the service should have informed the police, but the
    police claim they were not informed.

    Also, note the child in Florida who was "lost" and probably abducted because the
    child protective services failed to keep track of their visits.

    I would respectfully suggest you focus on the areas where improvement is really
    needed, instead of asking us all to sacrifice our civil liberties with no real
    expectation of benefit.

    Sincerely,

    Charles F. Radley