Re: CRIME Checkpoint versus Sonicwall

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 08:11:26 PDT

    Seth Arnold wrote:

    >What happens next? I can guess a phone call to the system administrators
    >saying, "hey, you were owned on tuesday", but where do you go from there?

    ... and how would a signature NIDS report saying "hey, I saw a chunking
    exploit last Tuesday" be any more useful than a Tripwire report that
    told you exactly what happened on the host?

    The value of NIDS over other IDS's is fast detection, which is only
    useful if the detector is being monitored. Does your package include
    NIDS? Or, for customers likely to choose weekly monitoring, do you
    recomend mostly forensic IDS?

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/